Monday 7 November 2011

Brasov, Romania

Brasov is a ground zero tourist destination. Many day trips can be made from here.




In the evenings the large Brasov sign on the hill is a nice picture to see. I was told the sign was made of thin reflective strips as are used in street signs. No lights are used at all, cool!




This town was bigger than I expected. I decided to take a taxi to my accommodation. It appeared a long ways.  Was the driver taking me the scenic route I wondered? Later I discovered that it is a fair distance from the bus/train sation to the old city centre. The reception lady provide me with a map, gave me info on all the sights to see ie. first Romanian School, St Nicholas Church, Black Church, narrowest street in Europe and more.


First Romanian School




St. Nicholas church
















Exterior wall of St Nicholas Church

I stopped at the Black Church, built in the late 1300's. Unfortunately I could not go inside, it had closed a day earlier for a month of renovations.


Black Church
Rope St-narrowest St in Europe






Poarta Schei gate

Catherine's Gate 1559



There is a lovely pedestrian mall walkway Str. Rupublici which I spent many hours through the days wandering down. The area is full of cafes, shops and kiosks selling wares. There is even a McDonalds , which I did visit for their wifi and coffee. The weather was not cold and the days were sunny (only 1 day of rain). I enjoyed spending time at the cafes or sitting in the squares, people watching!





Council Square


Council square

As in many other cities, the square if full of many pigeons. People are sometimes feeding them, children running about, squealing with delight in chasing the pigeons. One does have to watch for them as they fly so close almost colliding with you!







Chess in the park













Orthodox Cathedral





Orthodox Church

When I had been by the park I noticed what appeared to be an old fortress. I inquired about directions and headed up towards the hill. Trying to find my was a challenge as there were no signs posted.

Psychiatric hospital

On the way up I met a fellow by the name of Gino, a power line worker from Austrailia. Gino was originally from Romania and now comes here in the summer or fall. When this country was under communist rule he was a teenager. Not liking the life Gino escaped, hidden in the roof of a train. This landed Gino in Austria, where he later made his way to Italy, then eventually Austraila. We found our way up to the fortress and along the way Gino updated me on Romanian history. This is a view of Brasov from Brasov Citadel.

















Another view of city from inside fortress


Although when in Brasov I was sick, I enjoyed the town, using it as a point for heading to Bran, Peles Castle, Resnov and Sighisoara. It seemed a little difficult to get around, however people were very helpful.

Peles Castle was on my list to visit, this castle is supposed to rival Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. To my dismay the castle closed two days prior for 2 months of renovations.




























 
v

No comments:

Post a Comment