Friday 16 December 2011

Nessebar, Bulgaria

The air was very crisp the morning I headed from Veliko Tarnovo to Nessebar at the Black Sea. There was frost on the ground and the trees were sparkling white.

As we were waiting for the cab Alex stated that 4 weeks ago there had been a snowfall in Veliko. Hard to believe with all the great weather while I was here. The bus would take me to Burgas from where I would take another bus for 40 minutes to Nessebar. Nessebar is 3500 years old and has been made a Unesco site. This might not be the best time to go to the coast but I was determined to see the Black Sea.




I slept part of the way to Burgas, I wasn't used to getting up so early. The bus passed along large agriculture farms. The landscape was on the drier side, not to many green trees to be seen. The sky was hazy and the air very smokey. It seemed to be hazy like this throughout Bulgaria. I was surprised at how many falcons I had seen along this drive, flying through the air or perched on a pole. I saw my favorite sight of shephards guarding flocks of sheep. Many gypsies with their horses & carts were also seen. I didn't see them in time or they were out of camera range, very dissapointing. Later on the route we went by vineyards that seemed to go on for miles and miles. I arrived in Burgas just over 2 hours later.


Benches in pedestrian mall walkway in Burgas. The tails are seats, very different looking.






Searching for my bus to Nessebar I found out I was at the west bus station. I needed to be at the south station for bus to Nessebar. The ticket lady advised me to take bus #4 out front. Out front there were many buses. I went towards the city buses I had seen. Turns out that was not the right direction. While I was waiting at the bus stop a number of taxi drivers tried to persuade me to cab it to Nessebar. One even said the next city bus would be in 1 or 2 hours. Knowing this wasn't true I pointed at bus schedule, buses ran every 15 minutes! They were busted and off they went. A young lady advised  to get off at 3rd stop for Yug station. Once at the station it wasn't to long before I was off to Nessebar.

There were so many resorts, apartments along the way to here & Sunny Beach. I could just imagine how hectic this area would be in the summer!  I had been told a lot of British and Russian people were buying up a lot of the Bulgarian coastland.



Russian owned boat being moved



















Ruins at entrance to city

































I meandered up & down the cobblestone streets. For such a small area there were enough shops, plenty of leather shops also, however they were closed for the winter season. In the old town there were 42 churches from former times. Here are a few pictures of churches and ruins.


















Statue at dock by Old Town entrance









Later I stopped at a seaside restaurant and had a traditional meal while enjoying the panoramic view. I was busy enjoying the view that I didnt take a photograph of it.













The beer and meal were very good, plus with the wood stove the restaurant was very warm and cozy!
With so many businesses closed for the season, I decided to stay for just one night.
After a 2 hour wait in Burgas I went by bus to Plodiv, listening to English tunes on the bus radio. The air was still very smokey on the drive, not sure if it was all from burning the grasses or pollution. Perhaps a combination of both.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment