Friday 16 December 2011

Veliko Turnovo, Bulgaria



Upon arriving in Veliko Turnovo I took a taxi to the accommodation Elvira had recommended, Nomads Hostel. She had not stayed there herself but stated it was in a great central location. I had been informed of not only the many cobblestone streets consisting of large & small rocks, also the steep hills and stairs everywhere. A taxi seemed a better alternative to me.  (You will notice in a number of photos you may find cats, they are all over).







 










Only one night was available at Nomads which was just as well. Off I went to see the town plus look for Hostel Mostel which I had heard so many upon the hostel. In I went to take a look, great place, what a deal too. Included breakfast, light dinner & free beer! 

Later that day at Nomads I met Karen & Patty from New Hampshire and Ashley. Karen's daughter Ashley was in the Peace Corps and stationed in Veliko Turnovo. Ashley hadn't been home for some time so mom was here visiting her. I joined them for a light snack at one of the local restaurants. We had some delicious chicken noodle soup and chatted. All three were headed to Hotel Yantra for a half hour massage. The price was extremely good I was told. Unfortunately all the time slots for that evening were booked up.
The next morning I arrived to check in. I had a private room, which was much better than Nomads. There were two men manning the reception at Hostel Mostel, Tod, a local Bulgarian and Alex from Switzerland who had been there for 2 years. Both were extremely nice,very helpful to the guests, even making sure sure that we did not get ripped off by taxi drivers.

During my stay I ran into a man who I had met with the Canucks at the outside pubs in Squat City, Ljubljana. What a small world it is at times.


I left for Hotel Yantra to see about a massage. I treated myself to a one hour spa treatment also. It was so wonderful, my skin had never felt so great! When I return home I am going to treat myself to massages & spas more often.




























I walked along Gurko Street down towards the Sambolov bridge. I would then cross over the bridge to see The Assen Monument. This landmark, consisting of large statues and men on horseback could be seen from many points in town. I This monument had been put up in the Communist era.













I spent some marvelling at this monument. The size was incredible! How on earth they built it amazes me. I ended up leaving sooner than planned as some gypsies were in area,  hassling tourists & locals. I was thankful that I'd had a chance to enjoy the view and monument before they arrived!

On the walk back I took a different route and saw this interesting fence. This fence went a long ways down the boulevard.


 






Up above Gurko Street, new town area can be seen in background.





Photo below shows the old section of town. At the end of  street in photo, on the right hand side starts Gurko Street, one of the oldest streets in Bulgaria.





Interesting street sign & advertisement.









One of the side shopping streets and a restaraunt.






At the entrance to the fortress I met Karen & Patty. We hiked up to the fortress and here are some of the photos.

















The church at the top of the hill, another great view from here!





These are a few of the wall murals on the inside of the church.









Veliko Tarnovo was a very interesting town and if you want your share of exercise, this is the place! I thought I had seen cobblestone streets, steep streets before. Nothing compares to this town for those plus it has so many stairs everywhere. I was very happy that I had booked a massage here, help those aching muscles!








No comments:

Post a Comment