Monday 26 December 2011

Sofia, Bulgaria













Needing to activate my last Eurail pass by December 3rd, I took a noon train from Plodiv to Sofia. It was a newer train, very clean and comfortable. The female train conductor was a little confused when I showed her my train pass. Off she went with my pass and returned minutes later satisfied. A few of the passengers gave me strange looks. Did they think I had a fraudulent pass or what? I had a brochure for the Hostel Mostel in Sofia, only a 10 minute walk from the train station. Found my way easily and didn't get lost. Sure nice when this happens.

I met a Eugene from Vancouver BC, a serious man, mid 30's and Tim, a vibrant 39 year old from New York. Eugene had been gone from home for 4 weeks and was ready to go home. He was missing his girlfriend a lot. Tim had been travelling for 4 months and was not ready to go home. Tim entertained us with his travel stories and mishaps. He was so funny!  The next day Eugene and I met at the Court House lion statue for a walking tour.




We had a university student, Mitko, on the left as our tour guide. Mitko was studying history, was very informative and had a great sense of humour!



We went and saw....

Communist Party Head Quarter




Called Bankrupt Balcony, when
bank went under mgr was to jump off here,
it never happened, they just vanished



Opera House





The Mosque












Expensive yellow bricks from Austria, used for
 all govt area roads






Sofia Synogogue



Russian Orthodox Church



Alexander Nevsky Cathedral



Mineral Springs water outlet set up in centre of town. People come & collect the hot water for health benefits.  The tour guide Mitko said a young boy of 8 or so who drank the water he he felt super happy afterwards.






Former typical Communist shopping centre



Check point boxes left from Communist era.






Some interesting advertisement signs






I took a day trip to Rila Monastery with a group. Prior to visiting monastery we headed to a nearby mountain. Here a monk had lived in a cave area with a small church beside.  We all crawled though the opening of this cave. Very narrow, I was sure glad the distance wasn't to long as my closterphobia would start getting the better of me. Phew I was glad to get out to daylight!  Here are some photos......


















































 
At first I wasn't to sure about Bulgaria, especially with the big difference in language. After spending time in the
 country I ending up enjoying it. The people were friendly, helpful and the food was awesome! The prices were very inexpensive. The window shopping was great, if I had of been heading home I might of shopped till I dropped!

My next destination was Rome, Italy. I would be catching an early morning flight.



No comments:

Post a Comment