Monday 5 December 2011

Ruse, Bulgaria


I left Bucharest on a morning train headed for Ruse, Bulgaria. This town was not to far over the border, about 2 1/2 hrs. As we left town one could see the signs of modern times, plastic bags all over the land. What people also do is dump their garbage wherever they feel like. You could see piles of garbage dumped here and there. Periodically the piles had been burnt, leaving a charred mess. The last hour was the worst for garbage. We passed through many small villages along the way. You could see the poverty in the rural areas. Along the way was the usual shephard guarding his flocks of sheep and gypsies with their horse & cart. I never was close enough on train or street to be able to take a picture of a gypsy. In Deva a gypsy had been at the traffic light, however I did not have a camera with me.

At the Bulgarian border the officer took my passport and got off the train. Mine was the only passport taken from the passengers in compartment. I was concerned, was he going to be coming back?  This had never happened before.  Not to worry he returned five minutes later. Apparently this is normal if you do not belong to the E.U.


Arriving in Ruse was like a whole different world. The cyrillic writing was something else.  Something I couldn't read that's for sure. Take a look at this sign! 




When I arrived in Ruse, I was bombarded as usual by taxi drivers. The guidebook said if you were going to take a taxi, get one away from the station. The drivers are known to overcharge the tourists considerably!
I made may way to town centre looking for the English Guest House where I was to be staying.  I found the tourist office before finding the English Guest House. The kind young man at Tourist info counter gave me directions to the location.




English Guest House


Once checked in I left with map in hand to see some of the sights. I headed towards the square in search of the recommended restaurant to have a late lunch. The chicken meal was okay, a little greasier than I had expected. I then headed back to the square to see some of the sights. Along the main walkway was a man playing an accordian and singing. I didn't have a clue what he was saying but the sound was pleasing to my ears. The other man did not sing or play an instrument & a dog just lounged behind the chair.  I left him some coin as he allowed me to take a photo.







Imposing Court House





Svoboda Square


Monument of Freedom




The Profit-yielding Building




City Hall


Corner store





Ruse Opera House




Holy Trinitys Cathedral Church




























While staying at the English Guest House I met Elvira from Hamburg, Germany. She is 71 year old artist and travelling through Bulgaria on her own. Some points of her journey were a struggle but she didn't let that discourage her trip. Here is a photo of myself and Elvira. I think she looks a bit like our now retired, former coworker, Sherry Noel.



It was certainly a challenge & interesting finding ones way around the city! The map had the streets written in English, but the majority of streets signs were in Bulgarian writing. Elvira echoed the same complaint of how frustrating it was to find your way around.












Museum of History, amazing!
Recently celebrated its centenary





















St Pauls Catholic Church




Baba Tonka statue



I strolled down to the Danube River, enjoying the streets, scenery and views along the way.


A pretty hotel along the way





Grand Villa overlooking Danube


Serious look or?




Interesting statue in park


There were so many fisherman on shore,
they were catching fish too!






My next destination was Veliko Tarnovo.  Elvira had already been to this town and provided me with some helpful information, map and tips. My luggage wheels were going to get a huge workout. This place has so many hills, stairs, cobblestone, large stones.  I hope the wheels withstand the test.








No comments:

Post a Comment