Thursday 29 December 2011

Parma, Italy



I arrived to Parma in a fog, literally. The first evening it was all you could do to see four feet in front of you. Rather than go straight from Cinque Terre to Venice as it was such a long journey, the receptionist at Hotel Laconda suggested stopping here. It took me some time to find my accommodation as it was a ways from centre. Being so foggy didn't make me finding my way any easier!
I was told that the month of November had been unusual, foggy every day with the days not clearing up.  Lucky for me the fog cleared up for a good part of the next day.

Roundabout outside my hotel.






I had a map from the tourist office and made my way to town centre. This was the old part of town and where many sights & churches were located.
Main shopping street - Della Republica



Some of the side streets



















I went to Piazza Duomo to see Cathedral, Bishops Residence,
Monastery of St Paul.







Small rock pathways near and through church, cathedral area. Very difficult and uncomfortable to walk on, even with flat shoes!






l

Designs on door and front of this pink building

















Closeups on exterior of above building






A few of the different squares




Christmas market, decorating squares & stores getting ready for the holiday season.  Take a look at the large tree! I checked it is secured very well to the roofs of 2 buildings. Wonder where they cut and brought this tree from?









Parma was a nice break from a long train ride to Venice from Cinque Terre. The town was decorating for the holiday season, the lights along the streets so pretty. I spent my time strolling the streets and window shopping.  During the day I sat at the sidewalk cafes, people watching.



















cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment