Sunday 23 October 2011

Szeged, Hungary

The train ride from Pecs to Szeged took us through little towns, agriculture land, vineyards and farms. The sunflowers & corns are now gone from most fields and plowed ready for next year. At one point on the left we passed the largest apple orchard I have ever see!
There were so many free range chickens, nice to see.
The weather was dull & gray upon my arrival in Szegad. Got myself settled into Alfa Hotel, I was surprised at how small the room was. It really was time for a new mattress, that was the most uncomfortable bed I have slept in!

It was raining but equipped with a coat & umbrella, off I set to explore.  Walking from the hotel I headed to Szechery Square, it was so beautiful!






Szecheny Square






Municipal hall









View to pedestrian square


I took in the monuments, sights in the square, then headed through the park towards Tsiza River. The bridge was called Belvarosi hid and every pillar on the bridge was decorated with huge baskets of flowers. What a pretty picture! It was surprising to see flowers out at this time of year!


Belvarosi hid bridge











Church by Vidam Park


Vidam Park


After crossing the bridge and visiting the park it started to pour, so I took a bus back to the Dome Square. Here I looked at the Dome and Monastery buildings. They were massive!  This was one of the best interiors I have seen so far!  Boy churches were very rich in times past!


Dome church & monestary area


Beautiful interior of Dome church


Beautiful interior of Dome church




























I had purchased some luggage in Pecs, on which one the wheels broke 2 days later. I decided to return to Pecs to exchange the luggage. Went to Pecs, exchanged luggage, returning to Szeged with a few hours to spare before catching a 8pm bus to Arad, Romania. When I had enquired no one was certain which currency I should pay with, forints, euros or Romanian. I waited with a young man from Romania for the bus going to Arad. I waited and waited, no bus, both of us were a little frustrated!  Finally I went to information inquiring how late the bus would be. I was informed there would be no bus tonight (Monday), it only runs 1 day a week, Thursday, OMG!!  Now why wouldn't they have said that earlier, geez. Away I went with my new luggage (wheels worked great!) back to the Alfa Hotel. When I arrived the hotel was all booked up, what luck!  I had the number of Pension Illes and asked the receptionist to telephone, making sure they had room. Thank goodness they did and off I went in a taxi. The place was incredible, room was 3 times larger, way nicer, cost less, plus breakfast was included. The king size bed was soooo comfy and a huge breakfast. I should of stayed here earlier.


Last nights events were a little discouraging, however my mood the next day was quickly lifted. It was a beautiful sunny day as I strolled along the Tsiza River walkway to the train station.








Tripper checking out the view!


















The blvd area along the walkway was lined with deep scarlett flowers & off white plumed grasses. I certainly felt a lot better than last evening! It was 11C at 12:30, two hours later it was 21C, great weather! Arriving at the train station I found out that there was a train to Arad every 2 hours, perfect. The train journey took me through agriculture land, sheep farms and forested areas. Very pretty landscape. I was due to arrive in Arad early evening, before it was dark!














Tram road work


Leaving Szeged to Arad, Romania by train the scenery was beautiful. Just after Bescabora & Kegyal I saw a shephard tending a large flock of sheep. What a sweet picture! Not that much later a number of hawks were circling over the fields. A short while after that 10 deer had been grazing/standing in a cornfield. As the train went by they got scared & started jumping away. The deer were quite dark in color with white hindquarters. Nature, how lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment