Monday 15 August 2011

On the road again...Germany to Poland

                           Beautiful planters along Cafe alley as I called it, side street in Warsaw 
Countryside by Poznen Poland
I am amazed at how many houses in Germany have solar panels and the amount of wind turbines there are. Why didn't I take any videos of Germany while traveling on the train? Leaving Berlin, the rain started again, poured!  Best food I had was in underground subway, an little enclosed kiosk which makes fresh stir fry, with/veggies/noodles & chicken (yes there is refrigeration),  while you wait and only 2E, 2.80 Cdn. so good!  Sampled the original Berlin Curry Wurst to, it was very tasty! Decided to head straight out to Poland, not go to Dresden, Germany.  Wow, train station @ Berlin is MASSIVE! Three levels, bottom/top with trains, shops/cafes are in middle section. Seemed strange to have trains above you. Easy to get lost (and not just me!). Glass elevators everywhere which I am not keen on taking, scared of heights, even in Heidelberg on the funicular! Talk about a queasy stomach! Arrived early, waited on platform for my train but as I was to far down, missed 2 trains! 3rd time lucky.. The best things in Germany are the BEER & ICE CREAM!! Why can't we walk around the streets, beer in hand, seems so unfair!
The scenery, landscape in Poland is so beautiful! Headed to Warsaw, such a large vibrant city, beautiful. Strikes me as a very romantic city.  Arrived late in evening which makes my sense of direction even more hopeless :(.  Only ended up going around in circles a few times!  The rain seems to be following me, the next morning it just poured, a few hours later weather got very muggy & hot! Go figure. I have enough power surges lately I don't need the extra heat! Toured some of the city, Sunday everything closes up. Today, Monday is a public holiday, everything was closed (wasn't aware of that earlier).  Left today for Krakow along with many, many others doing same! Crazy line up, chaos at train station, wasn't sure if a seat would be available or I'd be standing. Got a seat, thank goodness, these Polish trains really jostle you around!  I LOVE KRAKOW!!  Krakow is a gorgeous city, very picturesque and so beautiful! Lots of old architure, churches, my kind of thing....and no underground to contend with! Walked all over town,taking in the beautiful sights, typical tourist snapping photos, videos...then...a few hours later the rain started, it poured! God I left my umbrella at the hotel.  Is the rain following me?  Tomorrow I will visit the 'Wieliczka' salt mines, day after off to Auschwitz Birkenau concentration camp. At the moment 'Tripper' is my travel companion, but he isn't much of a talker!!
You  pay to go!
Old building in Warsaw

No comments:

Post a Comment