Tuesday 23 August 2011

Znojmo, Czech Republic


View from kitchen window

Decided to check out the town of Znojmo, which had been recommended by the Prague hotel receptionist. As usual mass confusion at the train station, seems to be the norm in Europe!  Prague was a bit more organized. Met 5 couples from Victoria, who were on a 25 day trip, going from Prague to Budapest, from there by boat for 15 days to Amsterdam. It was a trip they had been working on-planning since last summer. The humidity was unbelievable!!  I changed trains in Breclav, heading northwest  towards Znojmo. Could the temperature get any hotter? It felt like I was in a sauna! I felt like a dog, wanting to stick my head out the window for fresh air, a breeze, w.h.y. but the window was to high!  The train ride seemed to take forever! I arrived in Znojmo with my power surges a.k.a. hot flashes. Just what I needed in this humid, hot weather! I had the name of a few places however no map, looked for one at train station & my luck, no luck! So there I was again in my usual predicament, trying to find where I was to stay. One place was full, others reception closed. I was following another couple also searching for accommodation. Round & round I went, could not seem to find anyone who knew where the street was. I stumbled upon a walkway which I decided to follow. It led directly to the hostel, located literally under the church!! I checked in and proceeded to check out this charming town. Such a beautiful place, and people were so friendly! Later that evening two Italian couples checked in for the night, leaving the next day. After that I had the place, pc and view all to myself. There were many rooms but the people not there, it seemed hostel did not take walk-ins, only reservations. I sure was lucky. Breakfast magically appeared each morning, at what time I am not sure!?  All I know is the food was there for me to eat while I enjoyed the view & listened to the birds singing! What a wonderful way to start out each day!! I did not want to leave this place for some time!

Another fantastic view from kitchen of my hostel!!





Theatre
  

I found the Podzemi, underground catacombs from the 12th century, many, kms. These tunnels were used to store foods, goods and later for the townspeople to hide when the Turks invaded area. Snojmo has an interesting history, it was a royal city centuries ago. The underground tunnels and history are so facinating! Today only 2 kms are open to public. The tour was 2 hours long, you had audio, headphones for in your language . At the end was wine tasting! This is wine country and the white wine I had, tasted super!


Podzemi (Catacomb entrance)
  
Torture chamber


underground tunnel

underground tunnel

Next day I hiked around up top by Rotunda sv Kateriny and Znojemsky hrad, then decided to head down into the valley. There were so many trails that one could take. The weather was quite hot and I headed downhill towards the Dyji river/dam. After a lot of zig zagging I arrived at the bottom alongside the river. I heard some drums and on the river was a dragon boat team practising their strokes to the beat of the drum. Some shade which I was very thankful for! Wow, what a view, I had come a long ways (just like the commercial!).
 

 
 
 
 
 
 














The thought of climbing back up did not sit well with me, not only was it so flipping hot, I was tired. Decided to forge onwards in valley and saw Loucky klaster, an old monastery (which was on my agenda) quite a ways ahead. On the way I came across a small cafe/restaurant. With the heat and so much walking I knew 100% that I must have something to drink. A beer was definitely in order, OMG...., it was so refreshing!!

SOOOO   GOOD!!

Onwards I trekked to Loucky, which was further away than it appeared initially. No problem, not like I didn't have a lot of time. Boy, sure getting my steps in today! Strolled past some cute little summer homes along the riverbank. On the other side of riverbank was Loucky klaster, a few dark horses grazing along the bank. Beautiful scene, however I did not think to take a picture at that time. Walked around Loucky grounds, the entrace gate was closed so I did not get a look inside the building, although not certain if it's normally open.


                                                













Needless to say I was hot and very tired by the time I arrived at hostel. Had the place all to myself again. Freshened up, then went on a search where to have dinnrer, but first I had to make a trip to the ATM. Found a machine in the main square but it must of been made for taller people, I couldn't see all of it, set up to high! Strange, you'd think they would of had a step up, or left something to stand on. A bit frustrating, however after a few blocks later I found a ATM that I could at least reach and see. Withdrew my money, found a sweet little place to dine and all was good! Needless to say I slept super that night! Spent the next day touring side streets and square, trying to see every nook/cranny.



Znojemska Libuse


Kostel sv. Mikulase was the church above my hostel, I decided to check this place out. The view from this location was just as spectacular as from the hostel!


Tripper hanging around the church
 















Nearby was Svatovaclavska kaple, a small chapel built off the side of the kostel. A woman was inside the chapel and showed visitors around. This chapel was unique to the country as it had another chapel built underneath. A chapel within a chapel! Different, not sure why that was done.

Svatovaclavska kaple


I visted the train station for information on my next destination, Bratislava. I did not want to leave this quaint little town, Snojmo of only 30,000. The hostel was very quiet and I loved sitting in kitchen, enjoying the beautiful view!


Apt building w/ads

Pedestrian overpass by train station




Main square monument




 
 

Stairs to walkway





                                         Walkway to room with the view!





1 comment: