Sunday 21 August 2011

Prague via overnight train



Wencelas Square, Prague

Wencelas Square
View down to Wencelas Square
                                                   




















Headed to Prague on an overnight train.
Booked a sleeper compartment as it was a lengthy trip. In hindsight I should of went from Berlin to Prague, then to Krakow but hey what the heck I have a lot of time, rail passes are great also.  The sleeper compartment has room for four people.  There was myself, a fellow Rich from London and two Belgium ladies. Rich looked a little like Hugh Grant plus had the same sense of humour! We were exchanging stories, he had me laughing, in stitches for hours!  Belgium ladies were so tired, they konked out right away!  I'm not convinced now that the sleeper is the way to go.  You have to pay extra for it, not covered on the rail pass and really you don't get a good sleep. The train jostles you around, whistles, etc. By the time I arrived in Prague I was exhausted.  Guess what, I got lost the moment I came out of the train station, don't ever ask me for directions!  If nothing else, I get good exercise. Finally found the place I was looking for, 3 blocks from train station,  located on a quiet street, 15 min walk from center.  I should be able to find my way out of here, you think?  Can you imagine if I was driving how much fuel would be consumed? lol. As Rick Steeves says, one thing about Prague everything is within half hour so walking distance, easy to take in the sights. Czech Republic is in the European Community, however still uses the old currency, korunas. Upon arrival at train station I changed some US dollars. That was a mistake, they charged a hefty commission. So I read later in the fine print, gotta read that fine print. The receptionist in hotel said to get current-best rate is at an ATM, I seemed to have forgotten that.  Live and learn.

One of the many cobble stone side streets




I LOVE PRAGUE!! I have as usual walked many, many steps. So many streets, nooks and crannies, it is easy to get lost. You eventually get turned around. For one thing, street names are not placed on every corner plus not listed on all maps.  I was one of many with a map, trying to find my way. Every street I turned down seemed more beautiful than the next! Just incredible!! I seem to say that a lot. But wow Prague is just magnificent! I explored more areas this time than when I visited 8 years ago. Today I had a scrumptious crepe breakfast in a sweet little cafe I stumbled upon, plus found the pizzeria place my son & I had visited. I decided to stay and have lunch. It was just as great, best oven pizza, beer & free wifi. You gotta love it!




Pizzeria Rugantino, best oven pizza ever!

Cobblestone sidewalk




























Decorated doorway
Imagine maintaining these




At Old Town Square
At St Charles Bridge, Prague



Astronomical clock at Old Town Square








 A little sketchy at hotel, there was a problem with shower doors, a vacuum seal and I couldn't get them open at first. In Heidelberg I was locked in the bathroom, good thing I had a roommate, Sissy who was able to get me rescued. You get used to the doors, locks at home, here there is such huge variety. After the fright was over I got ready and walked to the Powder Tower, down to St Charles Bridge, checking out the many shops along the way.  The centre is so full of activity, music being played in the squares, at St Charles Bridge. Busy, busy, plus tourists everywhere. I had thought it would of slowed down at this time of year. Suppose not, families are getting the last of summer vacation done. The Bohemian crystal is so lovely, made into such pretty jewelery, collectibles and amazing chandeliers. Strolled on walkway by Vlava River towards Stvanice Island. On the way part of section was quardoned off, a movie was being made. An American movie...something like Night Movie? We were not totally clear as to what he was saying for the title. A few of us thought we could be movie extras, the response was are you kidding? Carried on walking, almost having a collision with a pigeon, not sure who would of faired better.

Ceilng in Prague main train station

Pariz Hotel doorfront

Mystic Skatepark on Stvanice Island
Walkway by Vlava River

Local train





Powder Tower

Very tempting to purchase little souveniers along the way, if I did that my luggage would be very heavy indeed by the time I was done.  Love the people of Czech Republic, food, ice cream and of course BEER. The receptionist at hotel recommended going to a little town by the name of Znojmo, near the Czech Austria border, so that is where I will be heading next. This time I will make sure I stop at bank machine to get currency, rather than at train station.




St Charles Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment