Sunday 15 January 2012

Albuferia, Portugal

I left Lisbon headed to the Algarve for some beach time. After doing some net surfing I found a hotel located on the beach and a bargain. I hoped that the hotel would look as nice as it did on the internet.  When I arrived in the early afternoon to Albuferia, the weather was very warm. I was overdressed with hoody, coat & boots.
An elderly couple helped me with catching the bus to old town. From the train station we would take a bus, get off at main bus station, transfer, using existing ticket to old town. They were so helpful, made sure to remind the driver a number of times before they got off,  that he was to advise me of the stop.

Found Hotel Sol e Mar. Wow what a place 4 star, large rooms, balcony, ocean view, awesome full buffet breakfast, all for 22 cdn per night! Wifi is only available in lobby not room, oh well.








My hotel is the large white building in the middle of this picture!  Out front is Beach Peneco (not sure of English translation).





Shed some clothes and went walking along the beach & old town.  Towards the left in this picture is a lift to take you up to street or down to beach.






I loved walking along the beach, what a beautiful place, I was walking & kept saying, wow...  There were many sea shells that washed up along the shore and I made sure to check them out. The next day I slept in, had the huge breakfast, spent majority of day taking photos, walking on the beach and picking up sea shells.  It was wonderful listening to the waves coming into shore, the clinking sound as the water hit the many shells laying on shore. Even the seagulls were enjoying the sun, a large group bobbing on the waters surface, others gathered in groups on the sand, basking in the rays!



Then I found a spot, stayed soaking up the sun & people watching.  After returning to my hotel, showering, having lunch I went back to the beach!  Again strolling along the beach, checking out sea shells & marvelling how beautiful this place was!


Fishermans Beach

Tripper & Mouse quite enjoyed the beach!



























I met some wonderful people while in this town. Catherine from Stockholm, Sweden who spends 6 months here because she doesn't like the cold Swedish winters. I met a former local, Clara now living in the UK with her boyfriend Terry. She gave me many tips & information for my upcoming journey to Turkey.

I really enjoyed my 5 day stay in Albuferia. If it wasn't for the rail pass & deadline I had to use I would of stayed longer. The next time I come to the Algarve I will stay in Lagos which I am told is less touristy.  The day before I was to leave the weather changed, it had gotten colder, windier and also rained. Then the day I was leaving it cleared up, warm, sunny & blue skies!  My next destination was Seville, southern Spain.



No comments:

Post a Comment