Sunday 15 January 2012

San Sebastian Donostia, Spain

I left Barcelona on a morning train headed for San Sebastian. During the first couple of hours on my journey we travelled through many small towns. The landscape in this part of the country had a lot of rocky terrain. The trees consisted of either small shrublike or taller thin spike looking, pines?

A short while later the train started climbing. The rocky terrain started to disappear and the land was green and lush. I saw many small farms, some with a large number of horses. To my surprise there were a lot of sheep farms! I wasn't quick or close enough at  any time to get a photo. I saw more flocks of sheep in this short journey than I had in Romania!  Such beautiful countryside.


When I arrived in San Sebastian, making my way along the canal to the old town, this is what I saw.




The waves would come crashing in from the ocean, breaking up when entering the canal. It was a sight to see!








Looking back from where I had walked, this is the view.







Making my way to the tourist info centre, I saw....McD's,
in another cool building!



I checked into my accommodation, then went for a stroll on the beach, La Concha.  Beautiful!  People were walking and jogging on the beach. Kayakers and surfers were practicing their skills on the waves.


















I walked up to the Palace and Park. The city staff were working on the grounds, keeping them in great shape.  The view into the city and nearby beach was beautiful.










Later I walked along the beach back towards old town. These are some of the things I saw on my way.


Town Hall


Unique door




Constitution Square







I spent a lot of time walking along La Concha beach or the promenade. I was glad I had taken the time to see San Sebastian. The staff in Barcelona had said it was way to cold however it was not to cold. I believe the town and surrounding area was pretty in any season.  I had walked around the point many times however one day the weather had changed. The roadway had been blocked off by the police as the waves  were high & coming over walk path & road.  Some people were still walking on the far side so I ventured out also. The force of the wind was so strong when I came around the point I couldnt move forward. A short time later a wave came over the wall getting me wet, that was it, I was going back to dry out! Here some pictures of the waves & walk area.







 




I took a walk up to Mount Urguall to see La Mata Castle.  There were many paths one could take on the way up.


'Empty Construction' sculpture


















No comments:

Post a Comment