Sunday 15 January 2012

Avignon, France


I left Nice on a morning train to Avignon where I would be spending 2 nights. The scenery leaving Nice was beautiful, I had seen some of this previously when on a day trip to Cannes. However it was pretty to see again! There were so many public and private beaches along the way. How nice would that be to live by the ocean, go for a walk on the beach every morning? Hmmm I think that would be fantastic! After leaving Cannes the land had a more rocky terrain, red in color. Jutting out into the ocean were large rock areas with huge houses perched on them. Just gorgeous! The beaches after Cannes and throughout this area were still sandy.

Prior to my arrival I noticed I had misplaced my directions from train station. The TGV train station was a bit out of town centre requiring you to take a bus. Not only that, I did not have the address of hotel, thank goodness I knew the name!  Found the bus station and once in town made my way down the street finding a Tourist Information office. Great!

Supplied with maps, sights to see and directions to hotel, off I went. The old town of the city is surrounded by rampart walls. It was incredible to see. Here are some photos to give you an idea what the walls look like.











Later I took a tour of the Popes Palace, just incredible! What wealth the church had. It was built in the 14th century and took 20 years to complete. There were so many rooms, chapels, private apartments with priceless frescoes. There was a secret stairway, vaults hidden in floor for the safekeeping of money & precious items!








The Cathedral Our Lady of the Doms






 

 











This part is now a Museum.








One view from up by Cathedral



Saint-Benezet bridge constructed in the 12th century. Destroyed by Louis V111. Abandoned in 1633.
As seen from a viewpoint at the Popes Palace.









 




















View of Saint-Benezet bridge by Rhone river







Popes Palace viewed from Rhone river








A few other shots in the town.











I enjoyed the days I spent in Avignon, the weather was nice with the sun shining. I had never seen such a large rampart wall, covering such an area, it was something to see. That it is still standing after all these years is amazing!
My next destintion would be Barcelona, Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment