Sunday 15 January 2012

Lisbon, Portugal

I took a night train from San Sebastian, Spain to Lisbon, Portugal. After boarding the train conductor took my ticket and eurailpass, saying he would return in the morning a half hour before our arrival in Lisbon. This had happened in Prague so I wasn't concerned.  At abut 9:30 I went out of sleeper compartment to watch the scenery. There was a field with about 8 white horses grazing in the pasture. This field had some low areas which were filled with water. Standing in the water were about a dozen white & grey looking birds, cranes I believe. It was such a beautiful sight!
At 10:20 I was in a bit of a panic as I hadn't seen the train conductor and we were due to arrive in 10 minutes. Speaking with a young lady nearby she stated there was plenty of time as it was only 9:20. Guess what another time change! Spain was one hour ahead, phew, my panic left!

I followed my directions from train station to metro. Imagine that, I didn't get lost this time, nice!  I took this photo when exiting the metro station.









While in Romania I had met Tody, a restoration artist, a former American who lived in Lisbon. Tody gave me business card & said if  you are ever in Lisbon give me a call.  I had planned to to that when I first arrived however I was so struck with the city I started sightseeing right away.



































































Tody & I made arrangements to meet the next day in Belem.  From there we caught the ferry over to a little fishing village, Trafaria.  The beach went on for miles!








We stopped for lunch, picked out our fresh fish and had a feast accompanied with wine! Later we strolled through the village with Tody relaying the history of the area!  In the evening we caught the ferry back & stopped off at Belem to the original pastry store. There we had coffee and fresh custards, the best!







We said our farewells, Tody was off in two days to the Azures for vacation. Not until later I realized that I had not taken a photo of us in Trafaria.




No comments:

Post a Comment